Re: gnus on XP

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: Re: gnus on XP
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:19:26 -0500

What's preventing you from setting the server yourself, without
relying on the prompt?

(setq my_news_server "nntp.server.net")
(setq gnus-init-file (concat EMACS_PKGS "/.emacs-gnus"))

If you're wondering about the .emacs file, the locations are dependent
on your HOME environment variable. Open the control Panel -> System ->
Advanced (tab) -> Environment Variables

Add a HOME variable to your user settings with the appropriate value.

Launch emacs, and it will look there for your config files.

Better yet, try looking up some of the documentation that involves
emacs on windows. A lot has been written on getting emacs running
successfully on all flavors of windows, and I've been happily using it
on everything from NT3.5 to XP for 10 years now, with gnus!

- http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo
- http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

Also, on a personal note, it doesn't help your cause much when you
refer to your "suck XP box". Your issue here doesn't seem to be XP
related at all.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)