Re: gnus on XP

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: gnus on XP
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:42:25 +0100

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> writes:

Hi!

> I'm occasionally stuck using a suck XP box instead of my beloved
> Slackware.  Being a CLI freak, I d/l'd emacs to use gnus.  But, so far
> no joy.  I ran runemacs.exe and even addpm.exe.  I also created a
> C:\.emacs and C:\.gnus file.  In .gnus, I put:
>
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "us.Usenet-News.net"))
>
> I get:

> Opening nntp server on us.Usenet-News.net...
> Denied server
> Opening nntp server on us.Usenet-News.net...failed
> gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't open server
> exchange-point-and-mark: No mark set in this buffer
>
> ....after showing my newsserver in the stat bar and even offering up
> alt.os.linux.slackware newsgroup and I selecting it.
>
> At no time am I promted for a username or password, which my service
> requires.  I'm reading emacs and news and faqs as fast as I can and
> have searched google and groups (to no avail), but sure could use some
> advice.

Try to create a file ~/.authinfo with these contents

  machine us.Usenet-News.net login your-user-name password your-password force
yes

and try again.

> Also, is there a good emacs/gnus irc chat room?

There're #gnus and #emacs on irc.freenode.net.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Scientifically speaking,  it is impossible  to charge Chuck  Norris with
"obstruction of justice." This is because even Chuck Norris cannot be in