Re: [igraph] Graphs union

From: Moses Boudourides
Subject: Re: [igraph] Graphs union
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:07:06 +0300

I was also wondering if igraph might do this. However, what Rossano
sees as a sort of conjunction (union of graphs), I would like to see
in the dual form, as a sort of disjunction (lumping of vertices). Let
me explain what I mean, using Rossano's notation. Say we have k graphs
Gk = (Vk, Ek) such that one may define the following attributes on the
set of all vertices: for instance, a(v) = a1, for all v \in V1 and all
v \in Vk which may be identified with the vertices of V1, a(v) = a2,
for all v \in V2 other than those identified with the vertices of V1
and all other similar v \in Vk and so on. Then, the problem would be
the following (where V denotes the set of all "distinct" vertices in
the union of the Vk's): form a weighted graph G(V) = (V, F, w) such
that, for any pair of u, v \in V, one has (u, v) \in F as far as a(u)
= a(v) and (u, v) belongs to at least one Ek and the weight w(u, v) is
the number of such Ek's.

I'm not saying this might be easier to implement in igraph the way
Gabor has suggested. I'm only raising the remark on the duality of
graph conjunctions-disjunctions.

--Moses