hyperbole-users

Examples of author's own uses of Hyperbole

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Examples of author's own uses of Hyperbole
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 00:19:16 -0400

   1. This is just a summary of Hyperbole uses I find really handy
      that you can share with others who might consider trying
      Hyperbole.

   2. Although you can find elements of some of these things in many
      different packages, nothing brings them together and makes them
      effortless to accomplish via a single package like Hyperbole.

   3. Herein I list things I do quite frequently with Hyperbole just
      to give you a taste of the possibilities.  I hope some will
      spark an interest to try it out and expand your Emacs universe.

      I often:

   4. Display URLs, pathnames with environment variables in them, or
      Tramp remote paths with {M-RET}.

   5. Navigate table of contents and textual menus in many modes by
      pressing {M-RET}.

   6. Follow cross-references in Markdown, Info, Texinfo and Org mode
      with {M-RET}.

   7. Jump to Emacs bookmarks or edit Org agenda items with {M-RET}.

   8. Jump to my personal global buttons where I store quick
      abbreviations which display frequently used directories or
      invoke arbitrary code actions I have defined.

   9. Compose mail by pressing {M-RET} on an email address.

  10. When using Windows Subsystem for Linux, I jump to Windows
      formatted paths, even those on Windows shares by pressing
      {M-RET}.  No need to translate path formats any more regardless
      of which operating system you run Emacs on.

  11. Make quit-window restore my window configuration to exactly the
      way it was before I invoked Emacs help whenever I press {q}.

  12. Embed brace-delimited key series (multiple key sequences strung
      together) in my documents that are executed whenever I press
      {M-RET} on them.

  13. Choose a buffer line to put at the top of a window via {M-RET}
      at the end of a line or at the window bottom with {C-u M-RET}.
      {C-l} has adopted something similar in recent years but you have
      to cycle through positions with that rather than a single press.

  14. Jump to source code lines from grep -n outputs or stack traces in
      shell mode with {M-RET}.

  15. Jump from an identifier use in code to its source definition
      with {M-RET}.

  16. Select groupings delimited by parens, brackets or braces in any
      mode with {M-RET} on the opening or closing delimiter.  This
      also works with HTML and XML start and end tags, for quick
      selection.

  17. {C-c RET} lets me select bigger and bigger syntactical units in
      many modes by repeatedly pressing it.  I can go from a word, to
      a symbol, to a line, to a paragraph and beyond very easily.

  18. Together with Ace Window and Dired, quickly place buffers in
      windows wherever I like and then save window configurations for
      rapid recall later.  I can name these configurations or use a
      window configuration ring similar to the kill ring, all
      accessible via Hyperbole quick key menu.

  19. Create rapid layouts of window grids with {C-c @}, letting me
      see a bunch of existing buffers at once, either ones I've marked
      in Dired, recently used ones or those of a specific mode.

  20. Rapidly grow, shrink and rearrange windows/buffers/frames with
      HyControl, Hyperbole's scriptable window and frame manager.  I
      can move frames on screen by dragging with my middle mouse
      button depressed on each frame's bottommost modeline.  I can
      clone the exact size and contents of a window to a new frame by
      just dragging my middle mouse button from the window to outside
      of any frame.

  21. Create hierarchical, auto-numbered outlines in the Koutliner or
      use it to brainstorm any sort of list I need.  Now I can embed
      Org tables in Koutlines too (in the latest git branch of
      Hyperbole) and toggle this minor mode on and off by pressing
      {M-RET} on one of the table's | vertical dividers.  I export
      Koutlines to HTML, or Emacs/Org outline files when needed.

  22. Manage my contacts with HyRolo, allowing rapid full-text and
      logical search across any number of contact files, each of which
      is an Emacs outline of hierarchical contact records, e.g. people
      within an organization.  {C-x 4 r} from anywhere looks up
      anything I need quickly; a prefix argument limits the number of
      matching results returned to a maximum.  {q} then makes it
      disappear for minimal workflow interruption.  {C-h h r a} adds a
      new entry.

  23. Jump to the original message and discussion in GNUS for any
      Emacs or Hyperbole bug wherever I see bug#1234 by pressing
      {M-RET} on it.

  24. Perform highly targeted web searches with the Hyperbole Find/Web
      menu.

  25. Use my own custom Hyperbole Helm menu that exposes many of the
      useful Helm commands that are hidden or hard-to-find by the
      default configuration when you load the package.

  26. Use my own custom implicit button type that allows me to load and
      use a standard release of Hyperbole but if I try to edit one of
      the files from here, it automatically instead edits the
      equivalent one in my local Git repo of Hyperbole, preventing
      editing of the wrong file.