help-vcdimager

[VCDImager] FAQ: CD-R-compatible DVD Players

From: Jon Pennington
Subject: [VCDImager] FAQ: CD-R-compatible DVD Players
Date: 30 Dec 2001 20:47:54 -0600

I took a short stack of VCDs I'd made with Nero Burning ROM, using a
Philips CDRW-400 USB burner, on Maxell 700MB CD-R media, to Sears
tonight.  At every DVD player that was actually powered on and/or
connected to a display, I tried at least one of the CD-Rs.  Some read
the media, but refused to play the tracks.  Others simply reported "No
Disc".

I've resolved that I won't buy a DVD player for myself until I can see a
demonstration with one of my own VCDs, but what are y'all's favorite
guides to people who've proven that they work?  Specifically, I'd like
to know:

 1) The brand/model of the DVD player.
 2) The brand/type of media that VCD compatibility was proven with.
 3) The software used to test the hardware compatibility.

>From data like this, I could start to draw myself guidelines of brands
and model ranges to try *first*.  I'm really leaning towards a Philips
brand in the mid-budget line ($150-300US), but I'm not "married" to the
idea.  What do you think?

--
-=|JP|=-           Need a good geek?  I'm unemployed!

 '01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://www.xanga.com/cowboydren/    |  <//><
 '95 SL2 Auto   |       cowboydren @ yahoo . com        |