help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] FAQ: CD-R-compatible DVD Players

From: Oliver Wagner
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] FAQ: CD-R-compatible DVD Players
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:24:28 +0100 (CET)

Jon,

in case you don't know, there is an extensive DVD player
"compatibility" list at http://www.vcdhelp.com/

The information there should be taken with a grain of salt, but for the
more heavily voted models, it should be accurate.

My personal experience so far:

Panasonic A-350: no CD-R, plays VCD of some CD-RW brands,
plays off-standard VCDs (480x576, up to 2x CD-R bitrate)
as long as the audio is 44.1khz, no luck with SVCD

Grundig GDV-130: plays virtually everything except
off-standard VCDs (this is actually a OEM product
and can be taken as a reference for the numerous
ESS-4308f-chipset based players which you can find
everywhere very cheaply)

Pioneer 535: plays VCD, plays off-standard VCDs,
plays SVCD except for lack of subtitle support
(it's claimed to have limited PBC support,
but I haven't investigated this deeply. All
the usual stuff like menus and chapters seems
to work). Plays off-standard 48 khz audio.

Pioneer 545: like the 535, but supports MP3,
and has a decent remote control and a less
noisy disk drive.

I've currently settled for the 545 as my main player.

Olli