Re: [help-texinfo] texi2html trouble

From: Andreas Falkenhahn
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] texi2html trouble
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 22:09:56 +0100

On 26.12.2011 at 19:24 Patrice Dumas wrote:

>Which version of texi2html are you using?

1.82

>That looks possibly correct, however, keep in mind that texi2html, by
>default, uses sectioning commands, and not nodes to delimitate the
>elements output.  If you want nodes to be used, from the top of my
>head, you could do something along
>
>texi2html --set-init-variable USE_NODES=1

Hmm, -set-init-variable isn't recognized here.

>That's simply because the @chapter element correspond to the text
>between the @chapter (and maybe the previous @node) and the next
>sectioning command.  My guess is that it is more or less empty in
>your document (in the classical case, there should be a @menu).

I've now read up on @menu in the texinfo manual but I don't really get
why I would need this in my document. The structure in my document
is always as this:

@chapter Chapter 1

@node Chapter1Section1
@section First section
This is the first section

@node Chapter1Section2
@section Second section
This is the second section

@chapter Chapter 2
@node Chapter2Section1
@section First section

....and so on. Why should I use @menu here? What is it good for?
Wouldn't it be kind of redundant if I added all the sections of
a chapter into a menu again?

>No need to write an init file for your case.  If you don't want to
>bother with @menu, you could try to use book.init and see if it
>suits you need as it should add automatically directions for
>sections below (and up).

Thanks, book.init seems to do the trick but there's still one flaw: When I
select the first chapter in the left frame, the whole TOC appears again
in the right frame and the contents of the first chapter are at the very end
of the TOC. So the user has to scroll all the way down to see the
chapter's contents because it is preceded by the TOC. But this is only
the case for the first chapter. All other chapters are working fine. Any
ideas why this is happening?

Andreas