Re: [help-texinfo] texi2html trouble

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] texi2html trouble
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 23:47:54 +0100

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 10:09:56PM +0100, Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

> >texi2html --set-init-variable USE_NODES=1
>
> Hmm, -set-init-variable isn't recognized here.

Indeed, it appeared only very recently (in an unreleased version,
in fact, which is not that helpful...).

> ....and so on. Why should I use @menu here? What is it good for?
> Wouldn't it be kind of redundant if I added all the sections of
> a chapter into a menu again?

It is to let you decide the layout and description used for each
menu entry.  This is especially important for the Info output format
but less important for other formats.  Hopefully, not in the next
release of Texinfo, but in the following, the need to do a menu should
be gone.

With the version of texi2html you have, you can use --no-menu.

> Thanks, book.init seems to do the trick but there's still one flaw: When I
> select the first chapter in the left frame, the whole TOC appears again
> in the right frame and the contents of the first chapter are at the very end
> of the TOC. So the user has to scroll all the way down to see the
> chapter's contents because it is preceded by the TOC. But this is only
> the case for the first chapter. All other chapters are working fine. Any
> ideas why this is happening?

It's because it is the Top element, which is treated especially.  I
just read the code, and indeed, it is not very easy to prevent the
contents to be output there.  I think that you need an init file this time.

The init file just needs to unset the unconditional contents formatting.
you could try a file, called for example no_content.init containing only:

$DO_CONTENTS = 0;
1;

Then you'll call texi2html like

texi2html --init book.init --init no_content.init ......

--
Pat