help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] tar patch to selectively divert named compressors to alte

From: Paul Wise
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] tar patch to selectively divert named compressors to alternatives
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:33:39 +0800

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 16:16 +0200, ERSEK Laszlo wrote:

> Paul, if these would block acceptance of lbzip2 as a bzip2 alternative,
> please tell me up-front so I don't need to bother hacking upstream.

I personally feel that alternatives are not the best way to do this,
because there will be some distros that do not implement a feature like
this. In my opinion the most useful solution would be for tar to gain
knowledge about the various bzip2 filters available and have them
selectable via an environment variable as well as a command-line option.
I understand that tar upstream does not want to do that though.

However, the decision as to which solution to choose is up to you and
tar upstream. I will not block their/your choice from entering Debian.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise