help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] tar patch to selectively divert named compressors to alte

From: ERSEK Laszlo
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] tar patch to selectively divert named compressors to alternatives
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:16:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Bdale Garbee wrote:

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 16:18 +0200, ERSEK Laszlo wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2009, Paul Wise wrote:

Talk to the upstream tar maintainers about ways to make tar detect if
lbzip2 is available and use it instead of bzip2.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-tar/2009-10/msg00008.html

As the maintainer of the Debian packaging of tar, I'm ok with Sergey's
proposal in [0].

Sergey, Bdale, as its timestamp shows, my most recent post in the matter is [1]. If you still feel this modification of tar is worth it, I'll gladly do my part if there will be any (eg. installing the lbzip2 alternative for /usr/bin/bzip2-filter or so).

AnĂ­bal, I believe it would be useful if pbzip2 installed a bzip2-filter alternative as well. pbzip2 cooperates with --use since v1.0.4.