help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] tar patch to selectively divert named compressors to alte

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] tar patch to selectively divert named compressors to alternatives
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:37:16 +0300

ERSEK Laszlo <address@hidden> ha escrit:

> I kindly request you to review the patch below.

Have you tried the patch I sent you?

> The patch introduces a level of indirection between the dedicated compressor
> selector options and the corresponding executable names. The parametrized
> executable names default to the previous fixed values. Each one can be
> changed via a specific long option before a compressor is selected with a
> dedicated named option. Thus they are suitable for adding to TAR_OPTIONS.
> They generally look like --COMPRESSOR-filter, as in --bzip2-filter.

I prefer a single option instead. Tar is already overloaded with command
option names. Two option names per each compressor program is too much.

> +GLOBAL const char
> +  *compress_filter_option,
> +  *gzip_filter_option,
> +  *bzip2_filter_option,
> +  *lzma_filter_option,
> +  *lzop_filter_option,
> +  *xz_filter_option;

The same here. I'd like to avoid polluting the global namespace.

Apart from that, there remains my remark from the previous posting.
I'm not sure the game is worth the candles. It seems much simpler to
have an option/variable that would allow to redefine the compressor
name at compile time instead.

Regards,
Sergey