help-smalltalk

Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: display _ as left arrow (was Re: Help on sending a UDP Packet)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 21:17:08 +0100 (CET)

If I understand the footnote in the GNU Smalltalk syntax on := and _ correctly,
no Unicode is required anyway:

The GNU smalltalk manual says:
" In the ancient days (like the middle 70’s), the ASCII underscore character
was also printed as a back-arrow, and many terminals would display it that way,
thus its current usage. "

So it would be sufficient to find a font that displays _ as back-arrow,
which according to the above would exist for simple ASCII -- without Unicode
extensions.

There are footnotes in the wikipedia page on ASCII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#cite_note-Haynes_2015-60

that up arrow and left arrow were in use.

It says:
"By 1967 the underscore had spread to ASCII,[5] replacing the similarly-shaped
left-arrow character"