help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:25:17 +0200

Mike Anderson wrote:

LD wrote:
More importantly, the level of spam that this list attracts might  drive
away legitimate users. It's certainly made me think twice after  have
subscribed and then getting inundated from then on (i.e., daily).

I'd like to second this point. Currently, there's 8 messages in my junk
mail folder, and six of them come from this list - that can't create a
good impression.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm more or less immunized to these problems, because I get about 400 other spam messages per month which are filtered by procmail rules on the gnu.org, and about 80 more that pass through those filters and are taken care of by Thunderbird's bayesian filter. The first spam messages from help-smalltalk that reached my mailbox were a couple of wellsfargo.com phishing attempts.

I have since banned the wellsfargo.com account, and in the last 24 hours five of these mails have already been blocked by lists.gnu.org; I am now holding for moderator approval every html post. Please tell me if I should extend this to all non-members posts.

Paolo