help-smalltalk

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam

From: LD
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:54:51 +1000

Hi there,

On 10/10/2005, at 11:09 AM, Stewart Stremler wrote:

quoting Bruce Badger as of Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:07:41AM +1000:

I get quite a bit of spam from this list.

How about making it such that only subscribers can post?  After all,
if people want a response to a question, surely they have to subscribe
to get the answer?

There may be a few places where a GST user is told to just post to the
list address if they have a question or problem; requiring them to
subscribe might drive them away.

Small price to pay I'd say!
Most lists I know of require subscription for this very purpose.

More importantly, the level of spam that this list attracts might drive away legitimate users. It's certainly made me think twice after have subscribed and then getting inundated from then on (i.e., daily).

However, if a confirmation step (non-member posts to the list, and gets
back a "reply to this" or "visit this web-page to confirm your post")
can be done, that might be enough to weed out most of the spam.

Some of the spam I get comes directly to an email address *only* used
for this list.  So even a confirmation step won't quite be enough.

with regards,
--

LD