Re: How to delete file in RCS

From: Sam Lee
Subject: Re: How to delete file in RCS
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2021 03:22:46 +0000

Thank you for the tips.

> `rcsfreeze` will help assign symbolic names.

I have tried `rcsfreeze` before. Is it commonly used? Default installs
of RCS don't usually bother to include the `rcsfreeze` script.

`rcsfreeze` seems to assign symbolic names to *all* RCS/*,v files, even
those files that are no longer used (i.e. "deleted" files). The other
"problem" is that repeated uses of `rcsfreeze` will cause the list of
symbolic names to be long. For example, after running `rcsfreeze` many
times, the output of `rlog` would be filled by a long list of symbolic
names. Perhaps these aren't really problems?

> I'm less competent on systems that don't use `make`, but I should
> think they also use some form of automation for creating the final
> product. That's where I would look for automating the check out as
> well.

I will look into this. Given that RCS has fallen into disuse and
relative obscurity, I expect that most solutions are "do it yourself".