Re: how to instal, or upgrade, the latest octave version on windows 7

From: nitnit
Subject: Re: how to instal, or upgrade, the latest octave version on windows 7
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 23:26:51 -0800 (PST)

Mircea Toma wrote

> Thaks for help. Now I get "undefined reference to address@hidden'".
> Regards,
> Mircea
>

> GNU Octave, version 3.4.3
> octave:1> cd "C:/oct-test/helloworld"
> octave:2> mkoctfile helloworld.cpp --link-stand-alone
> c:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.6.1/../../../libmingw32.a(main.o): In
> function `main':
> C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\src\mingwrt/../mingw/main.c:73: undefined reference to
> address@hidden'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> octave:3>

It seems that your mkoctfile uses mingw32 with gcc-4.6.1 (you have probably
installed recent mingw32 on your system).

The installed octave environment vars which are set in octaverc (supplied by
the 7z archives) refer to mingw32 in your octave tree which consists of
gcc-4.5.2, so I beleive that the problems you are facing are because you are
now using a mixed mingw32 environment.

I have not tried to compile octave with gcc-4.6.1 yet and I have not tried
mkoctfile with recent mingw tools (gcc-4.6.1).

You can either:

a. Uninstall your recently installed mingw tools or at least remove it from
the search path of your system (that works for the helloworld examples)

or (if you must use gcc-4.6.1 for your application)

b. Edit and change your octaverc file such that all environment vars will
refer to your recent mingw installation and not to mingw32 subtree of your
octave installation tree. Be aware that I have not tested that yet.

Regards
Nitzan