Re: SLATEC error: Chebyshev series too short for specified accuracy

From: Camillo
Subject: Re: SLATEC error: Chebyshev series too short for specified accuracy
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:19:42 +0100

On 23/feb/2011, at 18.09, bpabbott wrote:

On Feb 23, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Camillo <address@hidden> wrote:

On 23/feb/2011, at 02.11, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Camillo wrote:

On 22/feb/2011, at 14.12, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Feb 22, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Camillo wrote:

Hello,

I am working on a Mac build of Octave 3.4.0. It's almost complete: it passes 6908 tests, has 2 known failures, and 5 unexpected ones. All of these five are due to the same issue, an exception inside SLATEC: "Chebyshev series too short for specified accuracy". I don't know Fortran and I'm not sure how to best debug the issue. The compilers I am using are gcc and gfortran 4.2.1.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Camillo Lugaresi

I've not seen this error.

Where did you get your gfortran?

http://r.research.att.com/gfortran-42-5664.pkg

What dependencies did you install?

All, except for gnuplot and ghostscript.

What was the result of running /configure? (it gives a summary at the end)

Finally, please copy-n-paste the actual error.

I'll attach the configure summary and the output of make check. I'm throwing in fntests.log as well.

Thanks,
Camillo

<configure summary><tests><fntests.log>

There may be another problem, but since you're building a 64bit app you'll need to take care of a bug in Apple's blas.

The problem is discussed in the developer's copy of README.MacOS

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/64ae43e0e1c0/README.MacOS

There is a patch intended for the developer's sources at the link below that will allow the configure script to detect the problem and apply the wrapper.

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7468

I was aware of the problem with BLAS, and I am using a small wrapper library for the affected routines (as suggested in <http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/ve/errata.html#fortran_conventions>); this is the "dotwrp" library you can see in the configure summary.

I didn't know that there were issues with LAPACK routines as well. Do you have a test case?

CL

No I don't. I've only been reading along on the developer's mail-list.

I'll forward the link to those working on the wrapper which has been submitted to the Octave patch tracker.

Ben

Thank you. Should I subscribe to that mailing list as well?
Apart from those 5 test failures, I think I put together a pretty nice Mac build of Octave. Perhaps it could be useful to others.

CL