Re: Redirecting Octave IO

From: Laurent Hoeltgen
Subject: Re: Redirecting Octave IO
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 15:36:13 +0100

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 13:40 +0000, RC Crozier wrote:
> Quoting Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
>
> > 2011/2/5 RC Crozier <address@hidden>:
> >> Quoting Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> >>
> >> First of all, thanks for replying.

> >> Yes, one which will actually implement the features I want! Also just a
> >> little project for myself.
> >
> > What features are those? Could you help us fix one of the more popular
> > GUIs instead? This constant NIH with Octave IDEs/GUIs is really not
> > helping. You could do a lot more good by working on, say, fixing
> > QtOctave than starting another half-baked GUI that you'll get bored
> > with in a few months and abandon. Maybe you'll be different from the
> > dozens of other people who have decided to start a GUI or IDE for
> > Octave, but the odds are not in favour of this.
> >
> > - Jordi G. H.
> >

> So far I have tried two GUIs, QToctave and XOctave, perhaps there are
> others I am not aware of, such as OctaveDE, which I haven't tried. The
> main problem with both of these is that they do not offer a similar
> experience to the matlab GUI . What I really want is the ability to
> certain things such as:
>
> 1. select some text in the command window, press the F9 key and have
> it sent to octave as a command.
>
> 2. select some text in an editor window, press the F9 key and have it
> sent to octave as a command.
>
> 3. have an editor window (with the above ability) with decent syntax
> highlighting (I plan to implement this with scintillaNET, a .NET
> control that wraps scintilla).
>
> 4. The ability to copy and paste text in the command window using C-c
> and C-v, not currently possible in the windows console.
>
> 5. The ability to step forward etc. when debugging by pressing one of
> the F keys
>
> Xoctave comes closest to these abilities, but is buggy and implemented
> in Pascal, a language I am not familiar with.
>
> QToctave is ok, but seems focussed on the visual aspect of the
> experience, such as showing the contents of variables and whatnot
> rather than these other things which I regard as the core abilities of
> the matlab GUI, and are what really speed up algorithm development for
> me in my work. I could contribute to qtoctave, but it would require
> learning the existing codebase, and many things I don't know about. By
> implementing my gui as as a .NET windows forms I have the many windows
> forms controls available to me, the extensive documentation of these
> contols, and my existing experience. It won't be cross-platform, but
> you can't have everything. I also need it work in all flavours of
> windows flawlessly. I think I can get the features I want working in a
> buggy fashion in about a week using C#.NET. I already have a few
> working.
>
> Also, this is just for myself, I would be happy to release it for
> others, open source, especially if others would help me, but I just
> want it to do what I want really.

Hi,

just my two cents about your requirements. Emacs can probably be
configured to do what you need. My personal favourite so far, is Geany
http://www.geany.org/ Sending a whole m file to octave and getting a
little popup window with the result can be done with F5 and works out of
the box. No configuration needed. Sending specific lines that you have
highlighted can probably be done too. The editor is capable of sending
text to a terminal. So sending it to octave should be possible as well.
If not, the editor can easily be extended with plugins (either written
in C or Lua) Also it uses the scintilla text component, thus the syntax
highlighting is pretty fine. Finally geany works on Windows as well as
Linux. So why not considering extending the capabilities of editors that
already have a solid base instead of writing new ones?

Greetings,
Laurent