Re: Octave 3.0.1 Scientific Linux 5.1 (RHAT) build failure

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0.1 Scientific Linux 5.1 (RHAT) build failure
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:31:22 -0500

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Labitt, Bruce
<address@hidden> wrote:

>  I think I may not have compiled ATLAS and LAPACK with 64 bit.  I'll
>  check on that.  My version of gcc is 4.1.2 (Red Hat 4.1.2-14)

Re-compiling Lapack (and Blas/Atlas) as a 64-bit binary may not be sufficient.
As far as I understand, due to its Fortran legacy, the array indexes
set to INTEGER*8.
You need it to be INTEGER*16. Simple find-and-replace will most likely
break some code written with sizeof(int) == 32 assumption.

There are proprietary versuions of lapack/blas libraries (e.g. Intel's MKL )
that (I think) have this fixed, but i have no experience with those...

>  GNUPLOT Version 4.0 patchlevel 0 was the binary I installed.  I can
>  uninstall it and compile 4.2.3 if it will matter...

You may have multiple gnuplots installed.
You need to set gnuplot_binary() (probably in your
.octaverc) to point to the gnuplot you want.
And yes, 4.2.3 is recommended.

>  Thanks,
>  Bruce

Sincerely,