Octave 3.0.1 Scientific Linux 5.1 (RHAT) build failure

From: Labitt, Bruce
Subject: Octave 3.0.1 Scientific Linux 5.1 (RHAT) build failure
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 10:27:04 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to get octave 3.0.1 to build on my machine.  I have
Scientific Linux 5.1 - 64 installed as the OS.  I'd like everything to
build to 64 bits so I can take advantage of the increased memory space.
I need to calculate out some large ffts (128M point).

I have gcc 4.1.2 on my machine.  I compiled and tested fftw3.2alpha3.
It is installed in /usr/local/bin

I ran the octave configure with the following options:

$ ./configure --with-f77=gfortran --with-fftw --enable-64
--enable-shared

Configure exited with an error code = 0.

I then ran make.  The last part of the message string was "Octave
successfully built".  Now choose from the following:

        ./run-octave
        make check
        make install

I executed ./run-octave.  I got ... : eror while loading shared
libraries: libfftw3.so.3: cannot open shared object file:  No such file
or directory.

If this is insufficient information to get help I can send config.log
and makeoctave.log to the list.  I did not know which sections to snip
and which to send.

If someone could provide some pointers and or assistance I'd greatly
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Bruce