Re: MAKEFLAGS (Was: forcing a rule)

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: MAKEFLAGS (Was: forcing a rule)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:58:11 -0600

Hi Noel,

> You missed the MAKEFILES portion of my email.
>
> I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking of something like:
>
>   # bootstrap.mk
>   ifeq ($(MAKELEVEL),0)
>     # re-exec make with new MAKEFLAGS
>   endif

It is easy to say "re-exec make with new MAKEFLAGS. How are you
going to reliably achieve this if it's not the only code in the
makefile? What if I say

make foo.o

Also it means that the whole makefile is going to be read before
re-execution. This could be unacceptable like in my case. So the
only viable solution I can see is by bloating every makefile with

if check

include rexec.make

else

#my code

endif

> then set MAKEFLAGS=bootstrap.mk.

Set where? in environment? No, thank you! ;-)

-boris