Re: MAKEFLAGS (Was: forcing a rule)

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: MAKEFLAGS (Was: forcing a rule)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:35:35 -0500

Boris Kolpackov wrote:

> In this case no re-execution happens unless you are using some
> really cool technique inside
>
> ifeq ($(MAKELEVEL),0)
> endif
>
> that I am not aware of (and you've got to tell me about it).

Like I suggested in a prior email, please read
http://make.paulandlesley.org/multi-arch.html for the technique to re-execute
make.

> No I am not and that's exactly why my makefiles are big (well, actually
> they are not that big, there are just hundreds or even thousands of them)
> and reading them all in just to re-execute is not an option.

I haven't checked to see if the "gmake self wrapper" technique will read all
the makefiles twice.  If it does, you're right, this would be a bad thing.

> > >Set where? in environment? No, thank you! ;-)
> >
> > One idea, from an offline thread, is to have a configuration file similar
> > to CVS's .cvsrc.  One thought is to have a global configuration file that
> > can set MAKEFILES.
>
> Anything global would be a bad thing because people use make to build
> a lot of different things. What may be useful for one build system can
> render the others completely broken (-r comes to mind).

An added thought in that thread is to have a MAKECONFIG environment variable
which is set to a filename, eg .makerc.  When make executes, $MAKECONFIG is
searched in parent directories and used if it's found.  In this scenario,
there's no global setting
whatsoever (except possibly for MAKECONFIG if users want to use it).

> > Of course, this all depends on what sort of project you're supporting.
>
> Well, it is a general-purpose build system for configuring/building/installing
> c/c++ applications. One day, when things settle a bit, I will make it
> publicly available.

I believe it's more general than that :-)

Noel