Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 09:58:05 +0200

Le 23/04/2020 à 03:46, Niklas Hambüchen a écrit :

You are right, I have tried it now without `pata` and it still works.

Also part_msdos should not be needed since the partition scheme is GPT.

I tried this with SuperGrub2Disk, but oddly `ls (hd0)` and `ls (hd0,gpt2)` show
the full sizes (8 TB).

Reporting the correct size does not imply that the firmware driver can address all of it.

However couldn't you just use a separate RAID array based on small partitions
located at the beginning of the drives for /boot ?

I think I could -- but would it be preferable?

It would not require to build a custom core image. Some distributions such as Ubuntu that you mentioned reinstall the core image when grub packages are updated, and I am not sure that the package can automatically handle extra custom grub-install parameters.

Also, GRUB would not even need to use the LVM driver in order to load the kernel and the initramfs, making it simpler and safer. If anything goes wrong with the LVM, GRUB won't even be able to boot the kernel. With a separate /boot, GRUB would at least boot the kernel, making the rescue initramfs shell available.

It seems that with `nativedisk` I can achieve a correct boot and be more
independent of bugs in the firmware, which looks like a strong argument to me.

Native disk drivers are much less used than firmware disk drivers, so they are also probably less tested. Then may contain bugs too. Also, when I tested (a long time ago), native disk drivers were much slower that firmware disk drivers.