Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive

From: Pascal Hambourg
Subject: Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 00:09:59 +0200

Le 22/04/2020 à 23:00, Niklas Hambüchen a écrit :

I got it to work now!

I also needed `ahci` in that list of modules. Using now:

     "--modules=nativedisk ahci pata part_gpt part_msdos diskfilter mdraid1x lvm
ext2"

Using this, my server even boots straight through.

Glad to see that you eventually worked it out.

That is because my server uses SATA disks.

Then it is unlikely that you need the 'pata' driver. It is for old parallel ATA (aka IDE) drives.

This shows that GRUB can handle 8 TB filesystems and the BIOS is faulty. However couldn't you just use a separate RAID array based on small partitions located at the beginning of the drives for /boot ?