Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive

From: Niklas Hambüchen
Subject: Re: GRUB2 not able to read ext4/xfs file systems on 8 TB drive
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 23:00:00 +0200

On 4/22/20 10:37 PM, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:
> On the "which modules to I have to build in" question, follwoing Pascal's
> suggestion to use `nativedisk`, I've tried various approaches so far, with
> the longest being:
>
>     "--modules=pata part_gpt part_msdos diskfilter mdraid1x lvm ext2
> nativedisk"
>
> but still `ls` shows absolutely no disks as soon as `nativedisk` is in
> effect, so I'm not sure what else to try.

I got it to work now!

I also needed `ahci` in that list of modules. Using now:

    "--modules=nativedisk ahci pata part_gpt part_msdos diskfilter mdraid1x lvm
ext2"

Using this, my server even boots straight through.

That is because my server uses SATA disks.
"AHCI SATA" even flashes up shortly during the BIOS initialisation at boot, but
it's so fast it's difficult to see.

I figured it out by reading the code at

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/grub-core/commands/nativedisk.c?h=grub-2.04#n326

which has a message:

    Switch to native disk drivers. If no modules are specified default set
(pata,ahci,usbms,ohci,uhci,ehci) is used

but that message doesn't seem to be printed for me.
I think it would be very beneficial to make that information available more
prominently in the GRUB docs, perhaps on the doc page of `nativedisk`?

Niklas