Re: GRUB2, GPT, mdadm & LVM

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: GRUB2, GPT, mdadm & LVM
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:38:46 -0600

On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Sander Smeenk <address@hidden> wrote:

---alot more snipped---
> + partmap_module= part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt
> part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt part_gpt
> part_gpt part_gpt

Seems like a lot of instances of part_gpt. And then I see:

> /usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: info: Inserting hostdisk//dev/sdp into md/0
> (mdraid1x)

/dev/sda through /dev/sdp are inserted into md/0 by grub-bios-setup. That's at
11 disk RAID 6? I defer to Andrey if that's even supportable.

In GRUB rescue, does it list all 11 drives with the ls command? I wonder if md0
is invalid, despite being listed. Or if it's short one or two drives and in
effect is degraded. I think this is an extremely fragile arrangement. You're
better off with /boot on a 2 or 3 disk RAID1, and duplicate GRUB core.img in
each of their BIOS boot partitions.

Chris Murphy