Re: I have troubles with GCC 4.3.3 installation

From: Lionel B
Subject: Re: I have troubles with GCC 4.3.3 installation
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:05:06 GMT

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 05:43:19 -0700, amrollahi.saeed wrote:

> Dear all
> Hello
>
> I am Saeed Amrollahi. I am a C++ programmer for a decade. I use Visual
> C++ under Windows and GNU GCC under Linux. I want to use the new
> features of C++0x like concepts, tuples, regex, threads, etc.
> I decided to instal GCC 4.3.3 on my Linux. Unfortunately, it was very
> difficult for me. Although I have a relatively good knowledge about
> Unix/Linux, but I can't install the prerequisites
> and the main GCC program. In all cases I followed the GCC instruction
> (in the GCC pages):
>
>  1. Prerequisites
>  2. Downloading the source
>  3. Configuration
>  4. Building
>  5. Testing (optional)
>  6. Final install
>
> I follow the traditional procedure: "./configure", then "make" and "make
> install" for prerequisites and main program (core GCC and g++ compiler),
>
> The configure phase goes well but in making programs I run into almost
> same problems. For example in installing Autogen program, I encounter
> the following errors:

Doesn't your Linux distribution supply packages for the various
prerequisites? You shouldn't have to build them all manually from source
(the only case where this might be necessary is where the version of the
distribution-supplied package is older than that required for the GCC
install - but this is unlikely if you have a reasonably up-to-date Linux
distribution).

--
Lionel B