help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] Unable to retrieve any document

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Unable to retrieve any document
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 14:14:02 -0500

On Saturday 04 May 2002 06:44 am, you wrote:
> I tried again a download today with the last update fromc CVS :
> I always have a lot of download stuck at 0% (very very small files of
> 100 bytes each )

Found it! There is a problem with gnunet-insert and files smaller than 1k
(essentially, the root-node that is generated was wrong). Fixed in CVS.

> For the first time I have one of my download stuck at 40% (a large mp3
> file).
> But sometimes after I got a "Segmentation fault" on gnunet-gtk client.

I haven't been able to reproduce that yet. You should get a core-dump in that
case. Just run "gdb `which gnunet-gtk` core*" and type in "ba" to get a stack
trace. That should give us an idea where to start looking.

> >Yes. http://www.ovmj.org/~mantis/ is our bugtracking system.
>
> I have not entered this bug because I do not think that any programmer
> can do anything with such a fuzzy information (no trace, no way to
> reproduce, no idea of the reason...).

Well, you were 50% wrong :-)

> How is it possible to help debug  ? is it possible to run this software
> under a debugger ?
> Or have a post mortem dump usefull to someone ?

Usually, a core-dump is a great help if it segfaults. Otherwise, activate
debug statements (debugging.h) and we can eventually see something.

> I would like also to play with a debugger. For example with
> gnunet-insert-mp3, and try to see if I can understand something with the
> bug wich extact keywords from mp3 files.. (for example).
> How do you (you gnunet people) debug and develop gnunetd and/or clients ?

stare at sources (Linus approach), printf (lots), gdb (segfault only, at
least that's how I keep it) :-)

Christian