help-gnunet

Re: [Help-gnunet] Unable to retrieve any document

From: Laurent Aries-Poinssot
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Unable to retrieve any document
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 13:44:45 +0200

Christian Grothoff wrote:
On Thursday 02 May 2002 03:59 am, you wrote:
1- I have not be able to retrieve any document: gnunet-gtk is stuck with
0% (or very rarely 4%).
I have a lot of "received useless crap xxxxx (2)!" on my console
The documents I tried to download and witch are stuck 0% are in fact
documents I inserted myself and are size 37 bytes abd 111 bytes).

Has been fixed recently in the CVS. CVS versions are sometimes a bit more
buggy than one would expect >-/

I tried again a download today with the last update fromc CVS :
I always have a lot of download stuck at 0% (very very small files of 100 bytes each )

For the first time I have one of my download stuck at 40% (a large mp3 file).
But sometimes after I got a "Segmentation fault" on gnunet-gtk client.

Yes. http://www.ovmj.org/~mantis/ is our bugtracking system.

I have not entered this bug because I do not think that any programmer can do anything with such a fuzzy information (no trace, no way to reproduce, no idea of the reason...).

How is it possible to help debug  ? is it possible to run this software under a debugger ?
Or have a post mortem dump usefull to someone ?

I think that a good way to enter into a new project that you do not know anything about is
- Read documentation if any (so I will read the various papers published on the net)
- Read the existing code (not always very easy)
- Try to get informations from guru people (if they ave some time to spend with a newbie)
- Run the software under a debugger to try to understant how it works (or is supposed to)
- Try to fix small problems not located in the kernel of the project nor tied with a design problem.

Well, bugreports are definitely a great form of doing so, thanks!

Christian
I would like also to play with a debugger. For example with gnunet-insert-mp3, and try to see if I can understand something with the bug wich extact keywords from mp3 files.. (for example).
How do you (you gnunet people) debug and develop gnunetd and/or clients ?

/laurent