Re: Undo defalias

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Undo defalias
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 17:00:34 +0100

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> Somehow `message' ended aliased to `ignore':
>
> That'd be a bug.
> Probably a piece of code intended to do that temporarily but the
> restoration code failed or failed to be run.
>
> It'd be good to track it down and get the code fixed.

The problem was caused by aggressive-indent-mode.el. It uses

(cl-letf (((symbol-function 'message) #'ignore))

There is a PR for changing it to

(let ((inhibit-message t))

which hopefully will be more robust.

>> How could I bind back `message' to its original function definition?
>
> Depends on how it got set to `ignore` (you can try exiting from
> a recursive edit or a minibuffer), but in many cases it's impossible:
> the #<subr message> object may simply not be reachable from anywhere any
> more :-(

That was what I expected, although Gregory's solution works for the case
you apply it right after

(defalias 'message 'ignore)

Tested on emacs -Q version 30.0.50.