Re: what I should do, and the "Emacs News Ezine"

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: what I should do, and the "Emacs News Ezine"
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 10:40:41 -0400

On 2019-03-27  2:12 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]
> Thanks not only for the kind words but
> especially the hints and URLs what do do.
> I only have one more question, but first -

You’re very welcome.

> IIUC it seems my TODO list is as follows:

[...]
> Sounds good?

Sounds good to me.  Though, in conjunction with MELPA, you might want to
consider making them available on GNU ELPA as well.

> Now for the question. If code and projects
> aren't announced on listbots/newsgroups, how
> will people know about them?
>
> This is not just a question of my projects, but
> also the other way around - how will *I* know
> what *other* people do?

Yeah, that’s a bit of a tough one.  There are a few ad hoc solutions
like Planet Emacsen [0] and Sacha Chua’s weekly-compiled Emacs News [1],
but there’s no ultimate silver bullet.  Sacha’s weekly Emacs News is a
manually curated list of most recent and interesting stuff from all
over, but usually doesn’t include much in the way of commentary.

[0]: http://planet.emacslife.com
[1]: http://sachachua.com/blog/category/emacs-news/

> Can't we have an ENE (the "Emacs News Ezine")
> where an editor compiles a list with short
> comments on the most recent and
> interesting stuff?
>

> PS. Obviously I'm not going to back down from
>     my own suggestion, so I volunteer as
>     assistant editor. I would volunteer as the
>     main editor but I think I'm the least
>     suited person for such a job because I only
>     know what goes on on my own computer and
>     workshop - and sometimes, actually, not
>     even that :))

Actually, looking at [2], I just discovered the emacs-tangents list [3],
available on gmane as gmane.emacs.tangents, which seems like Sacha posts
her weekly news there too.  Though it’s mostly been only Sacha posting
there for a while, it seems like anyone from the public can post there?
I think it could be a nice place for you and anyone else interested to
participate in, and to announce and discuss projects.

As for volunteering for the compilation, Sacha probably wouldn’t mind
some extra help with her weekly news either :)

[2]: https://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=emacs