Re: $EDITOR to open at file end?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: $EDITOR to open at file end?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 01:09:28 +0100

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is there another way to instruct emacs explicitly
>> to open the file and go to the bottom of the file?
>
> Here's another possible kludge:
>
>    $ emacs -Q --eval "(add-hook 'find-file-hook
> (lambda () (goto-char (point-max))))"
>
> :-)

I think you can remove that smiley, because that is
exactly it (or one of many "exactly it" I should say),
only I got the impression that the OP wanted this for
opening a specific file, not every file, and besides
he is likely to want his initialization intact (i.e.,
not the -Q option which I suspected is a leftover from
testing the command).

So:

    emacs FILE --eval "(goto-char (point-max))"

In situations like these it is common to say that it
is better to keep Emacs up all the time and open files
from, not with, Emacs. So, let me tell you that it is

--
underground experts united