Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *somet

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *sometimes* doesn't work with mouse!?!? Very confusing
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:27:29 +0200

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> In CUA, selection mirrors navigation: you hold down Shift, all
> navigation keys become selection keys. Shift+Left/Right for
> characters, Shift+Ctrl+Left/Right for words, Shift+Up/Down for
> lines, Shift+PgUp/PgDn for pages.

And this stinks, because you have to *reach* for the arrow keys,
as is the case for PgUp/PgDn. But as I said, the cua method and
mouse use are linked. If you use the mouse (which I always
disencourage), you are not typing anyway, so then you could bind
what you mention to mouse buttons. (I guess this was the thing
Drew talked about when he said the Emacs mouse isn't just any
mouse.)

> In classic Emacs, killing bindings are vastly different from
> navigation bindings:
>
> C-b/f vs DEL/C-d (characters)
> M-b/f vs M-DEL/M-d (words)
> C-p/n vs ??/?? (lines; closest is C-S-DEL but different)
> C-a/e vs ??/C-k (to start/end of line)
> M-a/e vs M-k (sentence)
> C-M-b/f vs C-M-k (sexp)
> C-M-p/n vs ?? (list)

That doesn't matter because the shortcuts enter the muscle
memory. You don't think to invoke them. What is mirrored is the
break down of the text into logical units, consisting of smaller
units, and so on. Move a word forward, then kill a word forward,
etc. When you get your mind thinking about text/code in that way,
you don't travel Europe as an interrail punk anymore. You know
where you want to go, and that's where you are.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573