Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *somet

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *sometimes* doesn't work with mouse!?!? Very confusing
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:12:24 +0700

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Also, they are good because they more or less mirror the
> cursor/point navigation commands. They make you think in chunks of
> text units, and not in a long string of chars... So, everything
> comes at once, intuitively: the muscle memory, or "finger habits",
> as some call it.

Not really.

In CUA, selection mirrors navigation: you hold down Shift, all
navigation keys become selection keys. Shift+Left/Right for
characters, Shift+Ctrl+Left/Right for words, Shift+Up/Down for lines,
Shift+PgUp/PgDn for pages. After you’ve selected a region, you can
delete it, cut it, overwrite it (with a character or with a pasted
fragment), or search-and-replace it. This is the Object-Verb order or
the OOP interface.

In classic Emacs, killing bindings are vastly different from
navigation bindings:

C-b/f vs DEL/C-d (characters)
M-b/f vs M-DEL/M-d (words)
C-p/n vs ??/?? (lines; closest is C-S-DEL but different)
C-a/e vs ??/C-k (to start/end of line)
M-a/e vs M-k (sentence)
C-M-b/f vs C-M-k (sexp)
C-M-p/n vs ?? (list)

If anything, the navigation bindings mirror themselves (with modifier
key expanding the scope), and killing keys mirror themselves. This is,
I’d say, Adverb-Verb order. Or a variant of command-line interface
(but different because in CLI adverbs (option switches) come after the
verb).

Some people are more used to one word order, others to another.