Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *somet

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Tried to bind Ctrl-c and to kill-ring-save (i.e. copy) and it *sometimes* doesn't work with mouse!?!? Very confusing
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 23:51:53 +0200

Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:

> I did read what you said and I did file it in my the back of my
> mind for future consideration.  However, dropping (cua-mode t)
> into .emacs was a 2 second fix for now that I can do while I
> consider evaluating your suggestion of completely revamping my
> mouse usage.  That will take a little more time.

Well, there are two things to this.

The mouse vs. keyboard is one thing. (I've said so much about that
perhaps it is enough.)

The cua vs. all the Emacs killing and yanking shortcuts is the
other thing.

But they are actually related! With the mouse, you tend to make a
selection. With the cua keys, you *only operate on selections*
(made by the mouse, or the keyboard - doesn't matter) - and this
is the huge limitation compared to the Emacs KY-keys - because
those operate on regions, too, but the also operate on point, and
the text around it.

Bottom line - with the KY-keys, you can kill and yank *without* a
region, or anything at all, actually:

kill-word
backward-kill-word
kill-line (with variation)
kill-sentence
etc.

This is why they are better - because when you have mastered them,
you get everything cua does, *and more*.

Also, they are good because they more or less mirror the
cursor/point navigation commands. They make you think in chunks of
text units, and not in a long string of chars... So, everything
comes at once, intuitively: the muscle memory, or "finger habits",
as some call it.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573