Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance

From: Maximilian Matthe
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 20:45:04 +0100

> Maybe you need to correct the problem in /etc/passwd. In which
> encoding is é encoded? In UTF-8? Or in some ISO Latin/ISO-8859
> encoding? In UTF-8 é is two bytes: C3 A9, in the 8-bit ISO encodings
> it's one byte, E9. Could you need to use this encoding in
> /etc/passwd...

I'm sorry. It was not my /etc/passwd that caused the error, it is

,----
| (setq user-full-name "Maximilian Matthé")
`----

in ~/.gnus.el . Nethertheless it's annoying. If I change the é to e it
works fine. And if I save .gnus.el in Iso-8859-15 the error still comes
up (I checked in hexl-mode that the é is encoded as one byte, e9).

So I think this is more a bug from gnus and not emacs. I will post my
issue at the gnus-list.

Very much thanks for your advice!

Regards, Max