Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 00:27:44 +0100

Am 04.01.2011 um 19:12 schrieb Maximilian Matthé:

I always get the message, I need to encode it in advance

Maybe you need to correct the problem in /etc/passwd. In which encoding is é encoded? In UTF-8? Or in some ISO Latin/ISO-8859 encoding? In UTF-8 é is two bytes: C3 A9, in the 8-bit ISO encodings it's one byte, E9. Could you need to use this encoding in /etc/passwd...

What is your system's documentation telling about allowed characters and encodings used for /etc/passwd? BTW, how did you insert your name? Could be there is a bug in your system...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Eine Fehlentscheidung auf Anhieb spart immerhin Zeit.
                                (Helmar Nahr)