Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance

From: Maximilian Matthé
Subject: Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:46:27 +0100

Hi,

everytime I add sth to the x-clipboard, emacs shows up this message:

,----
| Non-ASCII string must be encoded in advance: "Maximilian Matthé"
`----

(That's my name, set in /etc/passwd).

How can I solve that issue? It's annoying when I'm in the mini buffer
and use a command that adds sth to the kill ring (and therefore to the
clipboard).

I already tried to set the clipboard-format
(set-selection-coding-system) to utf-8 or sth. but that did not help.

I hope you can help me!

Regards, Max