Re: Chinese characters support

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:59:08 +0900 (JST)

Eli wrote:

> Is anything but complete acceptance of your opinions going to convince
> you that we know what we are talking about?

It seems like this discussion has expanded out of proportion.

> Look, all I was trying to do, as a person who did some work in this
> area for Emacs, and as someone who does get to answer lots of
> questions about this, is to tell you that etc/HELLO _is_ useful, and
> that the last thing I'd expect Emacs maintainers to do is to remove
> it.  Why cannot you accept that?

I never requested the removal of the HELLO file. All I said was that as long
as it was maintained in utf-7, it was not especially useful as test file for
people who are trying to get their CJK working right.

> It goes without saying that in a Unicode Emacs, the one that will have
> its internal representation of characters based on Unicode codepoints,
> HELLO will be recoded, either in that internal representation or in
> UTF-8.

This seems like a good approach. I appreciate your efforts to
understand the issue.

>But until that happens, I don't see any reason to recode it.

Whatever. Hopefully, as Emacs 21.3-5 with the appropriate Mule settings is
widely proliferated, this will be a moot issue. Emacs is a superb piece of
work, and I appreciate the efforts of all its developers to continually
expand its versatility.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787