h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] generalize (or eliminate) the distros white-list

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] generalize (or eliminate) the distros white-list
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 22:56:55 +1100

bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> writes:

that could be fixed, retaining the global "it works", by making
new reports clobber any existing ones; but then the historical
information (that it ever worked with any kernel) could be lost
- in the scenario above, with the current presentation, that
device would appear as "works with free software? No" until
someone posts a conflicting report

The nice thing about this database is it's also a wiki with history. Having inspected a pseudorandom sample, it seems that the history of each item tends to contain just one entry. If that's the case for 99% of the hardware entries (pending verification with some database query), then the existing reports can be treated as hardware X works with free software with any combination of the following distributions and kernels if we adopt a table representation like the one you proposed. It may not be accurate, but probably won't lose much information compared to what we have, with added benefits that existing record won't need to be clobbered.

WDYT?

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>