h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] generalize (or eliminate) the distros white-list

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] generalize (or eliminate) the distros white-list
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2021 23:22:42 +1100

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org> writes:

Though I've local modifications, so that isn't really seen here, but
they don't touch the GPU at all.

And I've mesa 21.2.1-1.0
$ pacman -sS ^mesa$
extra/mesa 21.2.1-1.0 [installed]
    An open-source implementation of the OpenGL specification
Here it's a bit tricky, as we don't have an abstraction that works
in all FSDG compliant distributions.

Packagekit should work fine on Hyperbola, Parabola, PureOS, and
Trisquel. It's known not to be implemented yet for Guix, and it's probably not implemented for Dragora as it's a custom distribution with a custom package manager. It doesn't seem to have a backend for 'opkg',
so LibreCMC probably doesn't work either.

Can you elaborate what ground can be covered by packagekit? Is it userspace drivers? If so, how does one obtain info about them with packagekit command?

For the kernel version we have 'uname -a', 'lsb_release -a' for the
distribution version and so on.

For Replicant, all that could be handled just by looking at the
Replicant version as upgrade are made by installing new versions of the
distribution. That probably applies to Dynebolic too.

In any case if we have a text field per "test", users could also add any relevant information there if they know how to obtain it. This way it would also accommodate all uses cases and require less coding,
though the downside is that the information there would be less
structured, so it would be less easy to find regressions by just
analyzing the data.

Thinking out loud: if we stretch this a bit further, perhaps an ideal h-source could also accept extensions for extra fields.