gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] New PEG: email_storage--marc

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Gzz] New PEG: email_storage--marc
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:49:05 +0200

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:37:30PM +0100, Marc Schiereck wrote:
> PEG email_storage
> :Authors:      Marc Schiereck
> :Date:         $Date: 2002/10/28 20:29:03 $
> :Revision:     $Revision: 1.1 $
> :Date-Created: 2002-10-28
>
> Issues
> ------
>
> * How are emails stored in a mediaserver.
>
>   - The way header and body of e-mails get separated.
>
>   - The same for multipart-message.
>
>   - How are header-blocks and body-blocks connected.
>
> Rationale
> ---------
>
> Description
> -----------
>
> When saving non-multipart-messages, header and body get
> separated and saved in a block respectively.

What's the rationale for this? (you should probably make an Issue
out of this, like "* should emails be stored in a single block or
headers and parts separated?

        RESOLVED: ..., because ...

> In order
> to preserve the connection between header and body the
> content-type of the e-mail needs to be changed to
> message/external-body. In addition a new access-type,
> called ``storm`` is introduced. It has a parameter
> ``block`` which holds the ID of the block containing
> the body.
>
> An example::

>       block="ID"

Is it allowed to just define our own access-type like that?
Or should we use a "x-..." type or ask IANA for an identifier?

> This works similar for multipart-messages. The message
> header stays untouched. Only the bodies of the individual
> parts get stored in mediaserver blocks (one for each
> body) while the message header and the heades of the
> individual parts get saved in the same block.

Why?

> The
> content-type of the message-parts gets changed to
> message/external-body and the parameters ``access-type``
> and ``block`` are added as in non-multipart-messages.
>
> An example for a multipart-header::
>
>     From: Marc Schiereck <address@hidden>
>     To: gzz developers list <address@hidden>
>     Subject: Sample message
>
>     --boundary
>
>     --boundary--

Additionally: are you planning to represent transclusions between messages
somehow? Probably not on this level, but above this level it would be nice.

        Tuomas