gzz-dev

[Gzz] Vobs and scene graphs

From: B. Fallenstein
Subject: [Gzz] Vobs and scene graphs
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:04:26 +0200

Re the recent discussion on the jyu list about vobs and Berlin/Fresco (www.fresco.org). This made me think about the applicability of vobs to scene graph systems, again.

In a sense a VobScene represents a scene graph. A vob system could be implemented in which each VobScene is basically a scene graph with keys from the model being attached at each node.

However, this doesn't flow well with the way these graphs are frequently used (e.g. in Fresco): as mutable display models. This is in contrast to VobScenes, which are completely rebuilt every time. For example, if there's a window X, one must be able to say, "move this to (x,y)." This doesn't create a new scene graph, but modifies the existing one.

In a vob system working "just right," this would then of course interpolate the window to its new place. The question now is, how to archieve this?

Obviously two versions of the tree must be managed somehow, so that we can run the interpolation routines on them. The simplest possibility seems to be copy-to-root with immutable nodes in the scene graph: i.e., we create a new scene graph that shares most objects with the previous one, somehow. The other possibility I see is to have the nodes somehow store multiple versions efficiently (there are, as Tuomas continues to remind me, a number of efficient techniques for storing versioned data in memory).

In any case, this seems to be a tad difficult to add on an existing system like Fresco-- but I don't know.

Another comment: I don't think Fresco supports connections between two different branches in the scene graph, from what I read. This is very important to us-- and could be interesting to them? But I would not know how to implement that in their architecture.

- Benja