guix-devel

Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 Inquiry

From: Kyle
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code 2023 Inquiry
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2023 15:15:55 +0000

I would expect most software versions to not be in Guix. Simon had mentioned that this is mostly what the guix-past repository is for. However, some packages might be buried on some branch or some commit in some Guix related git repository. It may be helpful to facilitate their discovery and extraction for conda import.

Git has a newish binary file format for caching searches across commits. Maybe it would be helpful to figure out how to parse this format (its documented) and index the data further using Xapian or a graph data structure (or tree sitter?) with the relevant metadata needed to find and efficiently extract scheme code and its dependencies?

You make an interesting point about compilation errors. It may more productive to help researchers test for working satisfiable configurations as a more relaxed approach to having to specify the exact software version. Maybe some "nearby" or newer version is packaged and that is enough to successfully run a test suite? I'm imagining something between git bisect and Guix's own package solver.

It might also be productive to add infrastructure to help scientists more conveniently track and study their recent packaging experiments. Guix will only become more useful the more packages which are already available. Work which makes packaging more approachable by more people benefits everyone. Perhaps you can think of other ideas in this direction?