guix-devel

wishlist: Guix tagging/logging

From: zimoun
Subject: wishlist: Guix tagging/logging
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 12:18:12 +0100

Hi Guix,

Some years ago, Ludo proposed [1] pinning Guix versions which is now
implemented (see Inferiors, "guix pull --commit=", manifest.scm, "guix
time-machine", etc.). However, in the bug report, Ludo also proposed
tagging.

I think ‘guix pull’ would be a good place to add support for tagging
Guixes and similar, but it would be good if the naive approach above
would work just as well.

[1] http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/22017

Do you think it is a feature that is missing? Something in the flavour
of "git tag" to ease the navigation between all the version.

What I have in mind is about the versions of interpreters and/or compilers.

Now, from an end-user point of view, it is hard to find the commit
introducing say Python 3.7 or if we have in our history Python 3.6.
(Replace Python by your favorite language other than Guile. ;-))

A concrete example is described in this thread [2].

[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-06/msg00098.html

Well, the idea is to:

 - expose to the end-user via "guix <command>" some Git history; ease
the search for a particular version.
 - locally tag

What do you think?

All the best,