guix-devel

Re: Help wanted for mumi (issues.guix.gnu.org)

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Help wanted for mumi (issues.guix.gnu.org)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 19:05:46 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for initiating this project.

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 at 23:13, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> our bug tracker web interface at issues.guix.gnu.org could really
> benefit from a more reliable, faster search.

Yes, it already improves the situation.

I feel grumpy when I use debbugs.gnu.org or even emacs-debbugs. It is
so slow and you need Internet connection: query, wait, query again,
... argh! :-)

Operate on a *local* copy is not easy, IMO. Even if the Gnus guru is
doing [1], it needs some tricks [2] or [3].

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00663.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00666.html
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00671.html

> So I decided to switch away from using the Debbugs API and instead
> operate on a *local* copy of all messages that reach Debbugs.  Debbugs
> operates on email messages, and luckily it allows us to download these
> original messages.  Whenever someone visits an issue page, all related
> messages are downloaded by mumi, so it amasses a sizeable stash of
> emails over time.
>
> Mumi is using a modified version of “mu”, the mail indexer and search
> tool, to continuously index the contents of all messages.  (“mu” is
> modified only so that the issue number is indexed alongside the message
> contents.)

This should be nice to be able to work search/query offline.

(Even if I am more from the notmuch side. ;-))

> Unfortunately, that’s as far as I got before life intervened.  The next
> step is really close, but getting there requires more contiguous
> segments of time than I can free at the moment.  We really only need to
> do the following things next:
>
> 1) keep updating the mu database as new messages are stored

Cron task every hour is not enough?

> 2) using the mu Guile bindings to search messages via mu instead of
> using the slow Debbugs API.

This should be really nice!

One direction I am more interested is a CLI to work offline, say

  mumi pull
  mumi search

and I am sure that our Emacs magicians could write a nice frontend. ;-)

> Does anyone here have an interest in playing with and improving mumi?
> It’s a very simple code base and it’s very easy to get started.

I am not enough skilled but I am currently using enough the Debbugs to
be bitten. :-)

Cheers,
simon