guix-devel

Re: New POWER9 machines for the Guix build farm?

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: New POWER9 machines for the Guix build farm?
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:57:19 +0100

On 28.11.19 01:50, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
Fellow Guix,

The Guix sysadmins are considering buying shiny hardware for the
ci.guix.gnu.org build farm, and it would be awesome if that included our
first POWER9 machine(s)!

This would be very neat.

So please, share your expertise and experience in this area! Ideally, we
need someone to volunteer to (help) set up any new POWER9 boxes and
later take care of them when needed.  It would certainly help justify
the multi-thousand-euro bill.

I own now a RaptorCS Blackbird[0] with an 8 core CPU and 32GiB RAM for
half a year. I use it as my daily desktop driver. It runs openSUSE
Tumblweed[1].

Setup was quite easy if you only want to use it as server without an
GPU. You only need a long enough (ca 15cm) 4mm hex key to screw the fan
on to the CPU. I could borrow mine.

The rest of the installation and setup process wasn't that different
from installing a x86 server. The nice thing is the openBMC chip, so
remote management is quite nice :)

All in all the biggest pain point for me, was getting the machine
through the customs. But I heard from people in the EU who had a pretty
smooth experience with that.

I offer my help in the whole process (ordering, customs, setup,
installation, maintenance).

~Jonathan

P.S: It might be worth to ask RaptorCS and IBM, if they could give us
some discounts.

[0] https://raptorcs.com/content/BK1B02/intro.html
[1] https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/tumbleweed