guix-devel

Re: guix gc doesn't seem to clean old guix revision

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix gc doesn't seem to clean old guix revision
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:26:27 +0100

Hi,

> And what i observed is it seems that 'guix gc' doesn't clean old guix
> revision.

It is because when pulling you do not replace but you create another
profile. Therefore, garbage collect does not apply as you expect. It
appears clearly by running "guix gc --list-roots" on your guix:latest
Docker image.

I was thinking that the size would be only the double instead of the
triple. But who knows. :-)

So now the question is: why does your configuration generate another
profile when "guix pull"ing? I have quickly investigated a bit and I
do not know right now. Maybe something is hidden with Alpine or other.

To be clear, "guix pull" claims the creation of this new profile.
Inside the Docker of the 1.0.1 image, I get:

which guix
/usr/local/bin/guix

ls -l /usr/local/bin
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            54 Nov 26 17:58 guix ->
/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/current-guix/bin/guix

guix pull
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/default'...

I was expecting that `which guix` returns /root/.config/guix/current/bin. Hum?

Hope that helps.

All the best,
simon