guix-devel

Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 23:05:52 -0600

On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 19:21 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Christopher,
> >
> > Christopher Baines 写道:
> > > This seems to me like quite a big change, and I'd be interested
> > > in
> > > knowing what your motivation was [1]?
> >
> > It's not, really.  It's equivalent to the impure /bin/sh that Guix
> > Systems already provide, but actually useful: ‘use #!/usr/bin/env,
> > not
> > #!/bin/sh!’ was already a mantra when I wrote my first shell script
> > —
> > and I'm not that young.
> >
> > There's no good argument for not being able to run the vast
> > majority
> > of well-written scripts, out of the box, on Guix Systems.
> >
> > I hope that's sufficient, but I don't think it needed to go in the
> > commit message.
>
> This should have been discussed more widely before pushing to
> 'master'.
> It is not a new idea.  We talked about it long ago, and decided that
> it
> should *not* be included.  I don't have the energy right now to
> restate
> the arguments or find the old discussions.
>
>        Mark

Here's a post with what I think is a good argument against adding
/usr/bin/env. I think the standard patch-shebang phase does a good job
at preventing the potential issue, but the argument still applies to
scripts generated by make, as I learned while attempting to port
pysolfc. I recommend you read the thread too.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-11/msg00505.html