guix-devel

Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2019 09:52:35 +0200

Jesse,

Thanks! It was linked from another thread[0] Ludo' pasted to my patch, though. I've read both.

Jesse Gibbons 写道:
Here's a post with what I think is a good argument against adding /usr/bin/env. I think the standard patch-shebang phase does a good job at preventing the potential issue, but the argument still applies to

So is the argument here that Guix packages would generate scripts at run-time that refer to /usr/bin/env? Or just that it's currently easy to catch packages that install #!/usr/bin/env scripts? Or something else?

Neither /bin/sh nor /usr/bin/env are available in the build environment. Relying on the *likely* run-time non-existence of /usr/bin/env in *user* environments to catch *packaging* bugs does not sound acceptable to me.

scripts generated by make, as I learned while attempting to port
pysolfc.

If you have the time, could you elaborate?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35910